Earth Day is celebrated on April 22 each year. The purpose of this holiday is to highlight the need to build a healthier, more sustainable planet. By making a few simple adjustments to your lifestyle, you’ll be doing your part to make the planet a better place all year long. How can you help? Take the following actions:
- Turn off lights and electronics when they’re not in use.
- Adjust your thermostat to a lower temperature when you’re not at home.
- Replace incandescent lightbulbs with high-efficiency LEDs.
Reuse and Recycle
- Instead of throwing those old articles of clothing that no longer fit, use them as rags.
- Give those Amazon boxes a new use by using them as storage containers.
- Separate waste, such as cans, bottles and plastic, and recycle them.
- Local foods reduce transportation-related carbon emissions.
- Instead of the grocery store, visit your local farmers market.
- Look for your community Facebook group and ask if anyone sells locally grown products such as eggs, honey and veggies. You never know what may be right around the corner!
Use Water Wisely
- Use less water by taking shorter showers.
- Installing low-flow showerheads and faucets can also help save water (and money!)
- Try running your dishwasher and washing machine on full loads only.