May is National Electrical Safety Month (NESM), overseen by the Electrical Safety Foundation International (ESFI). NESM aims to educate people on electrical dangers, to help reduce electrically-related injuries, property loss, and fatalities.
Check out some of our favorite NESM resources at the links below.
1. Understanding Surge Protective Devices – Survey Results
- 49% reported that a power surge had caused an interruption within the last 12 months.
- 78% of equipment failures caused by power surges were in service for 5 years or less.
- 79% of facilities state that Surge Protective Devices have cut down on the amount of downtime and equipment failure.
2. Making Your Home Safe and Efficient
- Use a smart plug or power strip to turn off power when devices are not in use
- LED light bulbs last longer than traditional bulbs and use 25-80% less energy
- Utilize home automation to control HVAC and lighting systems while not at home
3. Home Electrical Safety Challenge
You can download ESFI’s electrical safety checklist here, which gives you the resources to evaluate your kitchen, family room, bedroom, and basement.
- Your home is 40 years old or older
- You purchased a previously-owned home
- Your home has undergone a major renovation
- You have added major new appliances in the last 10 years