Although it may seem easy, upkeep on a pool requires a lot of time and money. According to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, electrical hazards in and around swimming pools were to blame for 60 deaths and nearly 50 serious shocks over the past 13 years. Pool maintenance will keep you, your family, and your friends safe while enjoying a day in the sun.
- Keep all electrical toys and appliances away from the water.
- Go around your home and check that you have GFCI outlets installed in all “wet” areas of your home.
- Make sure the electrical connections to your pools and hot tubs are fully grounded. Metro Electric can help provide the necessary electrical power for your pool or spa.
- Know where your circuit breakers are and how to safely turn them off, in the event of an emergency.
- Never touch any electrical toys, appliance and tools while you are wet or standing in water. Energy flows easily through water, like a puddle or a pool.
- Use outlet covers on outdoor receptacles near swimming pools and use GFCI protection for all pool power. Electricity and water do not mix!