Power up with Metro Electric Labor Day weekend! People of all ages are welcomed to walk/run for the 28th Annual 5K/10K. This run will be sponsored by Metro Electric. Mark your calendars for Thursday, August 31, 2023. It’s fun for the whole family.
A 5K run is 3.1 miles while a 10k is 6.2 miles. Don’t be daunted by the distance. With training and determination, a 5K run is a great distance for a beginner runner. If you have never run a 5K/10K but would like to, we’ve provided a few helpful tips to get you started.
- Don’t overrun. The week of the race, run in short, fast intervals. Keep your legs fresh by moving faster to prepare for the speedy tempo of the race. Keep yourself fresh but don’t burn yourself out.
- Don’t carb load the night before. If you must eat, try to eat either what you would normally, or healthier than normal. The more you eat before a run or a workout, the more your body has to digest while you’re doing physical activity. Doing so can cause your body to work twice as hard while it’s doing two things at once.
- Eat a light pre-race meal. Try to consume a 200 to 300 calorie meal, one to two hours before the race. Most of the calories should come from whole, unprocessed carbs.
- Give yourself a quick pep talk before you run. Get your confidence up, do any kind of ritual that you use to pump yourself up before you do anything.
- Lastly, have fun. You trained for this, time to shine!