February 1, 2017
We are approaching Michigan’s harsh winter weather and homeowners are going to do everything possible to cut down on heating costs. Space Heaters are a great tool when wanting to heat a specific room more than the others that may not be used as much. It’s important to Metro Electric that we make homeowners aware of the safety protocols to keep in mind when using this heating tool.
- Purchase space heaters that have the certification label of a nationally recognized testing laboratory.
- If your space heater has frayed, worn or damaged connections, do not use the heater.
- Place space heaters on level, flat surfaces. Never place on cabinets, tables or other furniture.
- Plug portable space heaters directly into an outlet; do not use an extension cord.
- Do not use a space heater in wet or damp areas unless it is specifically designed for use in wet locations such as bathrooms.
- Never leave a space heater unattended. Turn off when leaving the room.
- Keep space heaters out of high traffic areas and doorways where they may pose a tripping hazard.
View This Special Report:
A Message from The Electrical Safety Foundation International